Thursday, February 13, 2014

Iditarod Champions+Moose!


Well today was a very exciting day! To start the morning off I had the chance to work with past Iditarod champion dogs, and their well know musher Dallas Seavey!

In 2012 Dallas become the youngest man ever to win the Iditarod. Mushing runs in his blood with his father Mitch Seavey also being a past Iditarod champion, most recently in 2013. So for the past 2 years, the title has been in the Seavey family. Hopefully 2014 can be a three-peat for this family of mushers! One interesting fact about Dallas ties close to home for me, his sponsor is actually JJ Keller & Associates based out of Neenah, WI. Dallas has been in Wisconsin before and has toured at schools in the Fox Valley. My mom teaches at Victor Haen School in Kaukauna and told me how intensely the students and teachers follow the Iditarod, and especially how much they idolize Dallas! I made sure to tell him hello from the students and he gave me a little something to give to them when I return! (See below!)

Another interesting fact is that the Seavey father-son duo have their own tv episodes on Ultimate Survival Alaska on National Geographic. Check out a few episodes if you have time on the Nat Geo website! Enjoy the pictures of Dallas and the team below! 

Myself & Dallas Seavey!



 
Helping attach ECG leads and keep the dogs still





 
Dallas said as soon as this dog was born he knew his name would forever be Ears. Can you tell why? ;) 



I remember when this dog was brought in I said "Wow! You're handsome!" Dallas replied with, "Well thanks! But I think the dog is better looking..." He was definitely the musher we laughed the most with so far!
 
No workout necessary while in Alaska...all this lifting and squatting is more than enough! SORE!

 
The Seaveys seem like celebrities up here so Dallas was signing things when his team was done. I told him I completely forgot to bring something for him to sign for the students at Haen School. He pulled his racing card out of his pocket and signed that! Better than nothing :)


Oh, and another big thing...I saw a moose today! Like a real moose in the wild, not just the ones you see in the zoo. It was so neat to see one so close considering they are MUCH bigger than I thought. Thankfully I was in a building and it walked right through the parking lot! I got to pop my head out the door and take a few pictures! Apparently running into a moose in Alaska isn't necessarily a good thing as they can be aggressive...especially when they have a calf! 


 





-Tomorrow we have 3 more teams, then we are off to Fairbanks on Saturday. The drive is 5 hours north so please say an extra prayer for safe travels! If anything interesting occurs tomorrow I will be sure to post, but if not I will hopefully post again in Fairbanks! I heard it is absolutely beautiful up there!

Thanks for reading the blog and for all the nice comments! It makes me smile!
-Sophie 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophie, i love to read your blog, you write with such an enthousiasm !
    We follow you fron Uden, Holland my name is Hannie i am a cousin of your mother,
    we met on your trip to Europe. We wish you a save trip to Fairbanks and good luck
    with everything that you do, greetings from all of us over here !

    ReplyDelete