Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Is it almost that time?!?!

I'm going to start this blog with a little dog racing lesson...don't worry cute pictures are coming! Before I came to Alaska I just thought dog mushing was dog mushing. I had no idea there were any other pulling sports! It makes sense, but along with long distance sled races, they also have sprint races!

Its very interesting to see the different build between a long distance dog and a sprint racing dog.


The picture above is a good representation of sprint dogs vs long distance dogs. ROW B are examples of sprint racing dogs. ROW C are examples of long distance endurance dogs.



Another popular winter dog hobby here in AK is skijoring. Skijoring is where a small team of dogs, even one or two, pulls a person on skis! In Alaska this is a hobby as well as a competitive sport.  I've heard of people skijoring in Wisconsin but I have yet to see it. Maybe something to try in the future?




Ok now for an update on me. It seems crazy that today was the last day doing ECGs and bloodwork. Myself and the other technicians have completed over 70 teams, totaling over 1,500 dogs! Whew! Now the fun of race start work begins!
Tomorrow we do Vet Checks at Iditarod Headquarters. This is where each dog undergoes a physical examination before he or she can be given the green light to race! The bloodwork and ECGs will also be evaluated at this time as well.  During vet check day the technicians assist the veterinarians however possible, check microchip #s, rechip any dogs, redraw any blood, redo any ECGs, and of course...paperwork. (Unfortunately you can never escape it!) 

 
After vet check day we have two days off before race start on Saturday. Wednesday night we are invited to a musher banquet in Anchorage so we will most likely be staying in Anchorage until the end of our stay. After Wednesday there are plenty of things that need to be done before race start as well as banquets to attend. Time to celebrate a job well done, and begin a great send off for these amazing dogs and their mushers!


It's getting crazy around here, but it's because excitement is in the air! 3 days until Iditarod 2014!


Below are the pictures of the last 2 days....
Every so often you find that one dog you connect with. This was mine, his name is Block and he was a big goof. He loved to smile for the camera!


 

We never say no to husky cuddles



The usual greeting: "Let me jump on you and lick your face!"

This dogs name was Bolt, I thought he looked very much like a Bolt! So strong!


Getting extra cuddles from Block before he goes!

I thought this dog had a cool look to him. Others in his team also had that silver look.

A mushers son keeping a close eye on what we are doing with his pals! Musher in training!

Always time left for play :)

My view at dusk for the last 2 weeks in Wasilla

After this blog, I will be posting from Anchorage when I get the chance. Wasilla has been a great place to stay, but I can't wait to see more of Anchorage. It's a little sad because heading back to Anchorage means that my time here in Alaska is coming to a close, but I'm starting to my 3 F's very much...Family,Friends, and Fur-babies :)

-Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment